If you are an Indian citizen who wants to travel abroad, you will need a valid Indian passport. The good news is that you can now apply for a passport online, making the process faster and more convenient than ever before. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to apply for an Indian passport online.
A passport is an essential document for anyone who wants to travel abroad. It serves as proof of identity and citizenship, and without it, you cannot enter or exit a foreign country. In India, the Ministry of External Affairs issues passports to Indian citizens through the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) and Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs). In addition to these physical centers, you can now also apply for a passport online.
To be eligible for an Indian passport, you must be a citizen of India. You must also be able to provide proof of your date of birth, such as a birth certificate or school leaving certificate. If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need to provide additional documents such as proof of residence and identity.
When applying for an Indian passport online, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Proof of date of birth
- Proof of residence
- Proof of identity
- Passport size photograph
- Other supporting documents, if required
Passport Application Process
The passport application process can be divided into four steps:
- Filling out the online application form
- Scheduling an appointment
- Paying the passport fees
- Tracking the application status
Let’s take a look at each of these steps in detail.
How to fill out the Online Application Form
To apply for an Indian passport online, follow these steps:
- Visit the Passport Seva website at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink
- Register for an account by clicking on the “Register Now” link.
- Login to your account and click on the “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport” link.
- Fill in the required details in the application form, such as personal information, family information, contact information, and passport details.
- Upload your photograph and signature in the prescribed format and size.
- Review your application form and submit it.
- Take a printout of the application receipt.
How to Schedule an Appointment
After submitting your online application form, you will need to schedule an appointment to visit the passport center for verification and submission of documents. Follow these steps to schedule an appointment:
- Login to your account on the Passport Seva website.
- Click on the “Schedule Appointment” link.
- Select your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK).
- Choose a suitable date and time for your appointment.
- Confirm your appointment by paying the appointment fees.
Payment of Passport Fees
The fees for an Indian passport vary depending on the type of passport and the age of the applicant. You can pay the fees online using a debit card, credit card, or internet banking. After successful payment, you will receive a receipt which you will need to carry with you to the passport center on the day of your appointment.
How to Track Your Application Status
After submitting your application and documents, you can track the status of your passport application online. To check your application status, follow these steps:
- Login to your account on the Passport Seva website.
- Click on the “Track Application Status” link.
- Enter your file number or date of birth and click on “Track Status”.
You will be able to see the status of your passport application, whether it is under review, approved, or dispatched.
How to Collect Your Passport
Once your passport is ready, you can collect it in person from the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) where you had your appointment. You will need to carry the application receipt and any other documents that were requested during your appointment.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When applying for an Indian passport online, there are a few common mistakes that you should avoid to ensure a smooth and successful application process. These include:
- Not following the instructions for uploading photographs and signatures
- Providing incorrect or incomplete information in the application form
- Not carrying the required documents to the passport center for verification
- Not paying the passport fees on time
- Missing or rescheduling the appointment
Tips for a Smooth Passport Application Process
To ensure a smooth and hassle-free passport application process, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Read the instructions carefully before filling out the application form
- Double-check all the information you provide in the application form
- Upload high-quality photographs and signatures in the prescribed format
- Carry all the required documents to the passport center for verification
- Pay the passport fees on time and keep a copy of the receipt
- Be on time for your appointment and carry the application receipt and appointment letter
Register on the Passport Seva website: Visit the Passport Seva website (https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/) and register for a new account. Choose the “Register Now” option and provide your basic details such as name, date of birth, email ID, and create password.
Fill out the application form: Once you have registered, log in to your account and select the “Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport” option. Fill out the application form with all the necessary details such as personal information, address, and emergency contact.
Upload documents: After filling out the application form, you will need to upload scanned copies of your photograph, signature, and supporting documents such as address proof and birth certificate.
Pay the passport fees: The next step is to pay the passport fees online using a debit card, credit card, or internet banking.
Schedule an appointment: Once you have paid the fees, you can schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) for document verification.
Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK): On the day of your appointment, visit the PSK or POPSK with all the required documents for verification. You will also need to provide your biometric data such as fingerprints and photographs.
Applying for an Indian passport online is a convenient and easy process that can save you time and effort. By following the step-by-step guide and tips provided in this article, you can ensure a smooth and successful passport application process.
- Can I apply for an Indian passport online if I am a minor?
Yes, you can apply for a passport online even if you are a minor. However, you will need to provide additional documents such as a birth certificate and consent from your parents or legal guardians.
2. How long does it take to get an Indian passport after applying online?
The processing time for an Indian passport application can vary depending on various factors such as the type of passport, the number of applications received, and the verification process. However, the average processing time is around 30 days.
3. Can I apply for an Indian passport if I do not have a birth certificate?
If you do not have a birth certificate, you can provide other documents such as a school leaving certificate, voter ID card, or PAN card as proof of date of birth.